Monday, December 16, 2013

A descendant of Glory of the Morning, Vera DeCora Kingbird, my mother.  Father Henry Decorah and Edna Rave and Marie Edith Crow.  

I often wonder what our ancestors must think about the powwows of today.  I am sure that they revel in the fact that we can all gather together and visit, that we can compete or skirmish one another, and that so many people native and non-native come to see the gathering.  Yet, I can't help but wonder what they would think about the prize money. Scoffing at the same old winners, same old judges, all in beautiful regalia, powwows are all about the money, I said, "Powwows today seem to be all about the prize money.  You don't see hundreds of dancers at a traditional powwow."  Irritated with my comment, my mother said, "There are a lot of people out there who don't work, who can't get jobs.  They have degrees and everything.  There is a pharmacist out there, dancing.  You shouldn't say anything, if you don't know how it is for them!"  Not giving up, I countered with, "Do the same people have to win all the time? How is that helping the many people out there that are out of a job?"

When I was a young girl, I traveled to many powwows with my grandparents.  We went to Tama, Sisseton, Winnebago, Lake Andes, Crow Fair, Des Moines, Sioux City, Black River Falls and so on.  The reservations gave all the people breakfast, lunch and supper.  I still remember the old melmac powwow dishes that we used.  There was well water for everyone and a place to camp, no fee, with an electrical hook-up if you wanted it.  The MC wasn't crude or vulgar.  They talked and talked all day, telling of the news in Indian Country or telling clean jokes.  They would visit with people on the mic, announce who was here and where they came from.  We had contest dances that would NOT monopolize the entire powwow because we had the green corn dance, the snake dance, and others that helped us young ones learn how to do these time honored dances.  There were give aways to honor someone, a princess contests, and other special dances.  At the end of it all, if you didn't place in the contest, the hosting tribe would give you #100 pounds of potatoes or some money to get home on.  Now that was classy.

Little golf carts to transport you to and from your car is nice, but giving everyone something so they don't go away feeling bad or have a little money to get home on...well, that was classy.

Black River Falls, when they have a traditional powwow, well that is as close to the old ways as I can remember.  They feed you, sing the thank you song after every meal.  Someone is always feeding someone or honoring someone for something.  Water and electricity are there for anyone to use.  They have social dances and it almost makes me cry when I see the young ones trailing behind the long line of dancers.  They are teaching them the ways.  Once they had the gourd dance.  I remember doing that as a kid.  An older woman handed me a gourd and boy did I scrub.  I passed it off to another kid, but the older woman took it from me.  I guess it was up to her to decide who was going to dance.  BRF always had a round dance too.  Now that is old time.

I would say that GOM would enjoy the big gatherings, the contests, the magnificent over the top regalia, but she would insist that everyone learn the dances and go home with a little something to help them along their way too.  I am grateful that BRF, the Ho-Chunks have not forgotten the old ways.  Pinagigi!

No comments:

Post a Comment