Friday, February 10, 2012

A good omen today

I am currently studying Ho-Chunk history, beginning of all things to 1634 to 1900.  Too much, I know, but my thesis team members said it was time that I learned about our history.  While I considered the voluminous material and resources I felt that there was no way to do it justice.  As I finished the beginning to 1634, it dawned on me that my Choka used to talk about what it must have been like to live in the old days.  I added his thoughts to the end of the section in narrative form.  Suddenly I had an epiphany.  Why not do this for each section?  So I did.  I added the stories and comments and oral history that I have garnered at the end of each time period.  It was great!

Later in the day after spending hours on this paper having gotten through the 1700s' to 1800s', I went to pick up Amalia from school.  As I traveled down River Road Parkway I saw an eagle.  I was traveling west to east and it was traveling south to north.  I felt so invigorated at seeing this eagle and grateful that I made a breakthrough in my massive paper, that I rolled down my window and let out a ladies war hoop.  The eagle turned 180 degrees and circled so that it was over my car.  Seeing that I had its attention I yelled out again.  It hovered over me, flapping its enormous wings.  I sped along my way and didn't see it again.  I felt as if my ancestors were saying something to me.  It was as if they were spurning me on.

It was a good day.

1 comment: