Sunday, August 28, 2011

Dr. Jan Vansina, Doty Island, and the archives at WHS

An amazing trip!  I saw the spot where Jean Nicolet first met the Ho-Chunk on the northern part of island now Menasha.  There was a stone monument which marked the spot where Jean Nicolet met them.  It was given to the city by the Women of Menasha in 1902.  I stood on the spot where Jonathan Carver met Glory of the Morning where the Fox River meets Lake Winnebago.  The feelings are indescribable, very humbling.  I spent 3 days in the WHS archive room pouring over old documents hoping to retrieve information relative to my thesis.  They staff were very, very helpful.  I actually touched Dr. Kellogg's old notes and saw the original manuscript of The French Regime.  Inspiring to say the least.  I also held the ledger that recorded the first annuity payments made to the Ho-Chunk or then Winnebago Indians.  It was very touching to see my ancestors listed.  Lastly, I met with Dr. Jan Vansina, Prof. Emeritus, Department of History, UW-Madison.  We met in the History Emeritus staff suite.  Not so glamorous accommodations, but the company was awesome.  We met for over an hour and he gave me wonderful insights for my thesis, my model of generational oral tradition transmission and said, "You are on the right path in your research."  Oooh, now that was so good to hear!

The trip was made all the more special because my best and dearest friend went with me and acted as my "gopher" - my husband Paulo.

Pictures to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment